Sunday, May 29, 2016

Update for my Benefactors

I was just thinking of one of my previous benefactors, and offering a brief prayer for him and his family, when I thought I should say something about how my life has been going, how I have put people's generosity to good use (or not), and what my plans are.

First of all, I am very happy to say that I will be doing some teaching, but not until January. It will be a part-time gig and requires that I be quite far away from my family. It's not ideal, but it is a great step.

Secondly, I have not earned a dime since January. You can imagine what that means. Actually, I did work for one week about a month ago. So, in other words, we are not in a good position.

Thirdly, I have been writing like a son-of-a-gun. As you will probably remember, I sent a book off to a publisher around December, but haven't heard back yet. I am nearing completion of another one. I am very happy with it, but it will take some time to finish - how much time depends upon several factors. After that I will have a few more books coming out in the next year or two. The third won't be too long in coming, and might even be finished before 2017.

Fourthly, the Catholic Review of Books is progressing at a snail's pace, but it is moving forward. It's profile continues to grow, albeit very slowly. I am trying to get someone to work at promoting it on a commission basis. If you are interested, please let me know. I am getting quite good at the lay-out. I wish I had web-design skills too. Perhaps I will gain them in time. The Review is more or less breaking even. I wish I had a nest-egg to rely on for printing and advertising... if you think you can help with that, I would be so grateful. You can donate to its support via PayPal or by cheque very easily! The Review can be, and is on a small scale already, serving an important purpose. 


 “Faith must become culture... Faith that does not become culture is not wholly embraced, fully thought, or faithfully lived," said John Paul II. This is the idea behind my work with the Review and my books. He also said, "greater knowledge of truth" makes our lives "ever more human." (Fides et Ratio, 3)

Of course, it's easier when you have a cushy academic job to pay for your cultural ministry. I don't. I have not had much money coming in at all. I have tended to get down and lose hope, but it doesn't matter. I don't need security. I find desperation is a kind of inspiration. I am fascinated by a thought of Aristotle's that I had recently encountered: he suggests that luck is not luck at all, because it can actually lead us away from the hard work of becoming virtuous. So, it is with this kind of resignation that I reach out to you, my benefactors, to let you know what has been going on, what my plans are and my needs. 
  
Please, remember me, as I remember you, for, 


" I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers." (2 Tm 1:3)

3 comments:

  1. You should write a book about your life story! That's be something.
    Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the prayers coming. A book was written about my life: Great Expectations.

    ReplyDelete