Sunday, April 26, 2015

Twenty Years a Bishop

My long-time friend, my spiritual father, my supporter and inspiration, Archbishop Prendergast, had his twentieth anniversary yesterday as a bishop. Since we were both attending the Summit on the New Evangelization, I got to see him on his anniversary and wish him well in person.

The summit was awesome, not only because I got to tell lots and lots of people about the Catholic Review of Books, and actually sell some copies, but because of the amazing talks.

When its creator, my friend, Michael Dopp of Mission of the Redeemer Ministries, talked about how he slowly decided to undertake his bold idea for the Summit, he mentioned going to Archbishop Prendergast and asking whether he should do it. The Archbishop responded, "You have to do it."

Anyone who knows His Grace's episcopal ministry knows that he has been extraordinarily supportive of NET, CCO, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Academy, and countless other Catholic initiatives. He has also been extraordinarily supportive of this lost cause, Colin "the Theologian."

This is all you could ever want in a bishop.

The bishop is tireless. He embarrasses me all the time by his energy. He is 30 years older than me.

He is a gentleman, a scholar, he loves his family, he never stops visiting his parishes and attending events in his diocese and abroad, he is faithful to his friends, he is uncompromisingly faithful to the Lord, in and out of season. Most of all, he has merited my unending respect, and I don't like anyone or anything.

Second of all, he has a great sense of humor and is unflagging in his hope that things can build up and not just fall down.

So, please pray for him on the occasion of his twentieth. He's had a lot of important milestone lately, like fifty years a professed Jesuit in 2013 and forty years a priest in 2012.

I think he knows how much he is appreciated. But just in case, please let him know.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Archbishop Prendergast! Also, any friend of Colin's is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Archbishop Prendergast! Thank you for your faithful service to the Lord. Ad multos annos!

    - Mark F

    ReplyDelete