Thursday, September 25, 2014

Theologian Scale

Let me know what you think. It's not fool-proof, nor finished. I know I forgot some important figures - some are excluded simply because I am not competent to categorize them.

Most important thing to note is that this is not a chart about fidelity to Catholic doctrine only or primarily, it is about theologians' relationship to the thought of their time. You should note that the 'heresies' are tendencies, but only that. If you wonder why, for instance Gregory the Great and Ambrose are so close to that tendency (thought they do not fall within it) it is only because they were not 'radical' thinkers, but more like endorsers of the doctrine of their time, which is in their case a good thing. Times change and that is why solid theologians can end up pretty close to heretics, according to my chart.

The size of the font indicates my opinion of their historical importance.


3 comments:

  1. Why are Joseph Ratzinger, Henri de Lubac, and Urs von Balthasar missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I was thinking about the first two, but all three deserve to be added. Wait for an update.

    ReplyDelete