Sunday, September 28, 2014

Some Unexpected Ways in which I've Changed from City to Country

I'm not the greatest human being in the world, but I am better than this guy, after all, I haven't been on an airplane since my father's death - 6 years ago yesterday.

I am not a good person because if I had been a part of the Holy Family, I would have shown up for the Dedication in the Temple, not eight days after His birth, but perhaps a year or so after that. I updated my driver's license and health card addresses on Friday with my new address. You know that I have been living here for over a year now. Whoops.

When doing the health card the government lackey asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said no. Why no? Do I believe in hocus pocus body integrity resurrection stuff? No: God can make these stones sons of Abraham, if He chooses. He can reassemble my body too, without my actual body.

But don't people need my body parts, say, if I get in a car accident and my head is clean severed from my torso? Sure, they need them. But giving the government permission over my body, that's a big nyet. If my children need my liver, they can have half, or all of it, bone marrow, blood, whatever. If  a stranger does, and my family want to give part of my carcass to them, so be it.

A number of years ago I remember signing a consent card with my license in NS, I guess. Later when I heard people speak against it I couldn't understand their concerns - it's just a body. I am still fully of the mind that no beautifully lacquered wood must be hurt for my funeral. I am not into the cult of the dead. I pray for the quick and the dead, but I don't need to be tangibly connected to them, or have my dead body connected to anyone's memory. I will rely on God's mercy, not the memory of people stirred by sight of my gravestone for my salvation. It is a travesty of justice that people spent $10,000 on funerals in this country while little babies die of diarrhea in Chad. Not cool.

But I have changed my mind on organ donation cards because of what I have seen happens: doctors do not put the same care into organ-donors as they do for non-donors, and, relatedly, they declare death prematurely. But most of all, I hate the establishment and don't want to "go out" supporting it.

Why am I considering this a matter of country living? Well, in the country I have had to reconsider a few things: guns are good and should proliferate; global-warming might not be all it's cracked-up to be; in general: the government is better when it is less, smaller, and away, for that is when people can be people and not citizens. You can't see this when you live in a city because city life is carefully regulated, so much so that people automatically assume life needs to be like this. The poor people who live in the country make the best out of life, and don't want to be herded by the government. Government oversight makes less sense to them because they don't experience it constantly.

My brother has recently moved to the country after about fifteen years in Toronto. I wonder if his social views will become noticeably more conservative?

Trespassers will be regaled with anarchistic philosophizing.
And requests for McDonald's fries.
My views, though always conservative in most senses of the word, seem to be moving toward something resembling libertarianism, if not anarchism. Let me explain for one brief second. I find myself increasingly unable to answer the question, what benefit does modern technocracy bring for which we do not pay an exceedingly great price? Medical science, more than anything else, holds man captive to fear, the fear of suffering and premature death. This fear keeps him tethered to the state and inhibits him from truly experiencing the world as God intended.

You will perhaps be wise to expect future dissension from this here blog, that is, before I suddenly disappear off into the woods to start my new life in my uni-bomber shack, or at least, that's what the government will tell you.

But as a final footnote, I still hate littering and like windmills.

As another final footnote, my father would have approved of my life in a shack. He would have joined me, bringing with him his Thoreau.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely sympathize with your views. Subsidiarity (which the iPad just autocorrected to subsidies!) is the name of the game. Our hospital, for example: where do you want to be treated, our ER or a massive over-crowded one? There is something much more comforting about being sick in the presence of nurses whom you meet in the grocery store as well as the ER. Also, on the poor people note: I am always struck by our one "street guy" here in the Bay. In a city he would be dead or near death on a cardboard box. Here he lives in an apartment and fishes at the lake - what a difference in terms of personal dignity and its attendants. Living in the country has a wonderful effect on a city girl - the other day while out and about I thought to myself that once these country folk were just caricatures to me, now they are friends. And, slowly, I might just become one of them (although, shoot me if I ever wear camo). And on two funny notes: did you know the Unabomber was polish (and looks a bit like dave)?; unlike you, I would have been not only early to the dedication in the temple, but I also would not have slept the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subsidiarity at first seemed to me a nice but backward idea. Now I see it as key to solving so many of the world's problems.

    ReplyDelete