Monday, December 30, 2013

Highlights and Lowlights of the Christmas Season

It's been a while. I've been very busy with the Catholic Review of Books. It's very taxing, but very fulfilling on a few levels.

1. We got the flu the last week or so of school. Almost all of us. It put us under a lot of pressure once we got better to taking care of the Christmas shopping.

2. Once better, on my first social outing, the window on the passenger door of the car fell into the door, and caused significant inconvenience for my now very delayed Christmas shopping plans. In sum, rather than going to Ottawa or Pembroke, as I had planned, I had to confine my shopping to Barry's Bay - which was surprisingly successful, actually. Finally got the window fixed today. I had managed to hoist it and tape into place for the last week or so.

3. Broke my tooth the other day. Front tooth. Couldn't be more obvious. Somewhat demoralizing. Like the car, a broken tooth will not be fixed over the Christmas season. Dentists, like mechanics, deserve their time off too. I have one more full week looking as Duck Dynasty as ever could be. Cars always break down Friday evenings, teeth over Christmas.

4. Managed to see a few friends over these few days after Christmas, but not pushing it too hard.

5. With the developing of the Review, I have been repeatedly touched by God's grace - through the surrender it requires, the people I meet, the books I read.

6. Got a ton of snow, but managed to move all that needs moving. It's freezing cold again. I keep thinking about my friend who is spending this week in Texas. I wonder what the temp is there?

7. Oil ran out on Christmas Day. Yes, Christmas Day. With space heaters and a turkey-cooking oven, it stayed warm, despite the fact that it was the coldest day in a long time: about -35 when we woke up. Miraculously the oil man brought about 40 liters by about 7:30 pm.

8. I am officially a very poor Monopoly player. My kids are old enough now that playing this sometimes unending board game with them which we got for them for Christmas is only mildly annoying. I was the first out both times we played. I didn't make it much more than once or twice around the board both times.

No comments:

Post a Comment