Friday, November 1, 2013

A Prayer to Start my Work Each Day



A friend sent me an email the other day, asking about the relationship between the active and the contemplative life and the role of theological study within that. We had a fruitful exchange. Now, I sit in front of my computer and my books, thinking of the great tasks of intellection I have set for myself. My needs and the needs of my brothers and sisters in Christ call out to me on this important feast day that opens the month dedicated to prayer for the souls in purgatory. So, for all our needs, and for my enlightenment, let us pray, in the words of St. Augustine:

 Let me know you, O You who know me; then shall I know even as I am known. You are the strength of my soul; make Your way in and shape it to yourself, that it may be Yours to have and to hold, free from stain or wrinkle. I speak because this is my hope, and whenever my joy springs from that hope it is joy well founded. (Conf. 10.1.1)

All you saints in paradise, pray for us,
All you holy men and women of the Church suffering, may you receive the grace of final redemption through the Blood of the Lamb that was slain.

Remember me too, all you men and women of God, militant, suffering and triumphant, that I may be a bright light shining in the darkness like you. May God illuminate me, and by His light, all else in me but Him be burnt away. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment