Friday, May 17, 2013

Sitting in Starbucks / Chapters

Many people would be thinking many things as they sat enjoying a 'tall blond (roast)' on a beautiful Friday morning in May, waiting for Canadian Tire to finally getting around to perhaps fixing their car.

I am thinking how much I hate two things: Motown and the Beatles. I always have. Hated both.

And I am sure that this fact is something that distinguishes me from nearly every other human creature under Providence. Beatles songs are just random assemblances of words and sounds under the guise of song-ness (why would one, after all, care to have just one melody and tempo per song?), whereas Motown is a bunch of Raffi played ad nauseum, promoted in an ill-conceived effort to assuage white-guilt with the vindication of black art. If you want black art, any manner of Blues will do. Motown is about as artistic as the Spice Girls. Even philanthropy has standards. Yes, Stevie Wonder is brilliant, but not when singing the Jackson Five.

Am I having a bad day, you ask? No, not at all.

And, I understand the human need to be a part of something bigger than oneself, to have 'culture' they can point to and feel smart for appreciating. But to my mind, liking the Beatles and Motown makes you about as deep as a crepe, makes you the musical equivalent of the dude who hangs the poster of child-killer, Che Guevara, on his wall, thinking thereby that he is 'of the people,' as well as educated, revealing in one fell-swoop to the world that he is neither, nor will he ever be...

Yes, Starbucks / Chapters plays a lot of Beatles and Motown.

And, no, I am not going to still be your friend anyway if you like these things. To be forgiven, a sin must first be confessed and one must adopt a firm purpose of amendment.

1 comment:

  1. My husband hates the Beatles, too, so you are not the ONLY person. (I'm not wild about them either, but I wouldn't use the word 'hate'.)

    ReplyDelete