Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

A few things have conspired to get me back here to the blogger-drawing board. The first was the realization that I haven't blogged in a dog's age, and that that is terrible for someone who has spent the past few years strong-arming all and sundry Catholic to do so.

The second was the presence of my bishop, whose aura of holiness is an aura of evangelization where you are and how you are. (I love that he's my bishop again, by the way.)

Thirdly, having read an old friend's wonderful blog about Christmas. In this post, this LifeSiteNews-er evokes everything that goes into good blogging, which is itself good evangelization, which is itself just plain human virtue: self-awareness, self-revelation, faith, honesty. That's everything I stand for as a blogger. A Catholic blogger must believe that the act of sharing oneself is good in and of itself. If he does not, he is a self-promoter, proud, etc. We share because we know that sharing blesses others.

A fourthly can be added here. It's thinking about friends whom I dearly wish to see over the next week or so back in Barry's Bay. Many of them read my blog (at least that's what they tell me - kind souls that they are!)

I liked Hilary's post very much (see #2 above). She expresses so much of what I feel re. Christmas: don't like it that much... like it.

Christmas for me now is the family. Life for me now is the family. But it's not easy, this Christmas stuff. All that shopping. All that extra work. Going to mass in a packed church! (I think they should bring back sales of indulgences of one kind only, that is, you can pay the Church money for either (a) substituting your obligation to go to mass on Christmas to Boxing Day, or (b) pay the Church money for a private mass on Christmas day - which only people with 52 stamps on their mass attendance card are eligible for, if you know what I mean.)

I don't like Russell. I miss my BB friends. I don't like Ottawa. There, I said it.

But I'm so gleefully happy with what I got for Christmas! What'd I get? My favourite gift was the massive 900-page biography of Dostoevsky by Joseph Frank. Believe it or not, this is the abridged version: the original was 2000 pages. Now, that's my kind of book!

It was so nice to see Archbishop Prendergast just two days before Christmas. He blessed our house. That made everything just right. (I still hate Russell, though.) His Grace gave me some things to think about. I don't trust very many people's opinions, but his I do. People need mentors. I got one, and I am so grateful.

My mom comes tomorrow for about a week. It'll be so good to see her. I finally got her a gift I am really proud to give her. No, better than a master's or doctoral thesis. lol. She's gotten those before.

So, sorry I took so long to blog. I still care very much about all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - I was wondering why you hate us so much! But if we were anywhere close to Ottawa we'd be staying at your place. But we're not. We're about 6 hours south right now.

    But we'll be stopping by soon so get the chips and wine ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait. Eeeeeh. We might even spring for dip!

    ReplyDelete