Friday, May 18, 2012

Which is God, Which are You - Cat or Dog?

I am looking after - more like looking in on - my friends' dog.

Now, I was unsurprised by the outpouring of doggy-emotion that greeted my arrival when I came to feed him today. You expect that from a dog.

I never grew up with dogs. We were a cat-family. And now I see why that was intended by God for my well-being. And it wasn't in order to protect me from dog-stink. It was to give me a glimpse into my own self.

Leave a cat alone and you come back to resentment. Hard-looks and wounded feelings. Eventually she forgives - but she never forgets.

A dog, on the other hand. You can't leave them alone for two minutes. Needy. But grateful when you come back.

Which are you like? Easily wounded, but effusive and ever-forgiving? Or, slow to anger and very slow to forgive?

I am the resentful cat. Yes, I like my distance, but don't think that means I don't care. I'm watching you.

Now, which one is God like?

It's hard not to think of Him as the ever-grateful, ever-forgiving, ever-slathering, dog.

Yet, of course, to be theologically accurate here, God is not like people who are like dogs. Dogs are like people who are like God.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a cartoon once that said it all about dogs and cats. Dog looks up at his master and the speak bubble says "you feed me, you love me, you must be God". Second one shows cat looking up at master and speak bubble (perhaps thought bubble) says "you feed me, you love me, I must be God".

    ReplyDelete