Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Large Family is not here to Entertain Your 1.5 Kids!

I love it. It's been an theme around here recently. We've observed how those who have their 1 or 2 children, so as to heroically prevent over-population and excessive pollution, so as to enable mom to get out of the house, and so as to enable both mom and dad to get to Barbados each year, fall back on families like mine that (a) pollute, (b) have a mom who 'just' stays at home, and (c) have never been and perhaps will never be south of winter (i.e. Barbados or anywhere close to it). Their bored, neglected, and yet wealthy, kids come flying to houses like ours like iron filings to magnets. They come and share in our modest lunches of bologna sandwiches and Selections brand cookies - they are always welcome, seeing how I have all this extra money laying about anyway - and, then, sometimes treat us to something of what they've picked up from mom and dad about too many children leading to global warming or some such thing.

I miss that white shirt. I wonder where Anne-Marie put it? In the pool house?
I'll warrant that a lot of gas does get produced at my house. Most of it's mine, not the kids'.

In our house, I've noticed little boys and girls showing up to play, often after school as they wait for their parents to get out of work. And, now that our Sarah-Grace is nine, we have bored little girls constantly calling to talk to her on the phone. But nothing beats the young fella that friends of mine practically raised because he had no one to play with at home, coming to their house and berating "Catholicism for contributing to over-population."

But you know what, leave the door-to-door stuff to the Mormons. I think the best way my family can evangelize is to live, love and share, even with those poor rich kids.

9 comments:

  1. Amen to that last sentence. I came from one of those homes where my Mom worked and we had a few more luxuries than the neighbourhood kids. Where did I like to spend my time? At my two best friends' houses, where both homes had five kids, lots of laughter and antics, and a mom at home. Both were the kind of home that I wanted to have for our kids, and we've worked at making it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Have you ever had to lend one or more of your children to another (smaller) family so their kids would have someone to play with on vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue. Good seeing you yesterday.

    Mrs. Pinkerton, summer is one aspect I was thinking about but hadn't touched on in this post. I kind of get a bit nervous when I think of that. We are basically sitting ducks for that kind of thing in this small town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Good seeing you too, and meeting your wife. We had a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Just spend more time at swimming lessons and make up excuses like hay season and the friends will scatter like bread upon the waters. That is our technique at least. p.s. the scourge is still scourging - it is quick, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about the scourge. I wanted to catch you after Mass yesterday, but I guess you had to get home...

      Delete
  5. Now I know that when I hear it's 'hay season' to drop the kids off with you anyway!
    So glad to hear that your marriage prep went well. John K. is an awesome guy, as I'm sure you've seen.
    Sorry to hear about the scourge. Maybe Jacob should spend the day reading, something he's not used to :) It is a quick scourge, true.

    So... public is good... hmm? Have you heard about this new thing in Canadian Catholic Blogging? You should think about becoming a part of it:

    http://canadiancatholicbloggers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I love family, I don't think you can presume that every small family is poor in spirit and every large family is happy and loving. Simplistic notion. Traditionally Catholic Ireland or Italy should have been the most crazily happy nations on earth, then. Is that what all that Irish boozing was about?

    I knew very large families at my Catholic school while growing up. Some had drunken fathers who spent all of their pay and left none for groceries; one had a mother who dealt with mental illness and was often hospitalized. Some of these large families had children who were shooed out of the house alone to roam the streets all day; there were times their parents didn't seem to know their names.

    Simply because you have many children does not make you a wonderful parent. Read the news story recently of that fellow in the U.K. who had 17 children, and killed 6 of them by setting fire to the house? Point taken, I hope.

    It is simplistic thinking to state that the number of children you have is reflective of the quality of your family life. Large families can be happy, or not. Small families can be happy, or not. Lots of factors come into it.

    One of my own parents came from a Catholic family of 15 children, and looked back sadly on the fact that his parents hardly knew him, and he was expected to leave home at 17 -- no questions asked -- to make room for the younger ones. He never looked back. We did not so much as receive a Christmas card, ever, from his parents or siblings in the years to come. So don't jump to silly conclusions about big, happy families. Some are. Some are not.

    The idea of not having children to avoid overpopulation is about nothing but vanity -- people showing the rest of us how "progressive" they are.

    In the same vein, talking about big happy families is kind of "in your face." It isn't something to crow about. Just have your family, take care of them and get on with life. Why use it to make a statement? That, too, is vanity.

    Why does everyone these days feel the need to boast about every little aspect of their lives? These blog sites are never about humility. They are all about, "Look at Me!" In that way, they are non-Catholic.

    I can't imagine my grandparents having written a blog about their 15 children. Too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuck you asshole. Go clean the fucking cum dripping out of you ass. You a fucking arrogant prick.

    ReplyDelete