Monday, January 16, 2012

Optimism

A beautiful passage from the Book of Revelation runs,

The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. (21:23)

That'll be awesome! I can't wait.

But in the meantime, living here in the Ottawa Valley in mid January, sunlight seems a rare commodity.

The keen observer will note that I seem to end up writing some kind of post about the weather every year about this time.

The days are getting longer, even if still colder, at least for a few more weeks.

By my calculations - and thanks to the good people at timeanddate.com - the days are getting about 2 minutes longer each day. That is about 15 minutes a week, which is an hour a month! So, today, January 16th, there was about 9 hours and 8 minutes of sunlight. One week from now, 9 hours, 22 minutes. A month from today, on February 16th, we will have 10 hours and 27 minutes. A month after that, that is to say, March 16th, we will have 11 h 58 m. The very next day, it'll flip to the other side, and there will be more sunlight than night.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. If you found today that you were a little pressed for time, or you were feeling a little dreary because of the oppressive darkness, tomorrow will be better: you will have 1 minute and 54 more seconds to play with. That will make all the difference in the world.

I have a friend who likes to go for walks around dusk. This added time should give her another 100 metres to play with. I hope she takes full advantage of it! Of course, that means that supper will be delayed a full 114 seconds...




Another random bit of wisdom:
Having children makes, can make, no man worse, only better. This is in the nature of things. The one made worse by his fatherhood, only seems so; the selfishness was always there, hidden, having no light to shine upon it.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like the loss of light hits me particularly hard as the shortest day of the year is my birthday. But, after I was born everything got better;) I will take advantage of the increasing light. This time of the year is always when I feel that I just need to tuck in my chin and plough ahead til March when I can begin to hope again. Also, H has a vey bad headache today which I think might be the start of the stomach flu. Hopefully it is as fast as yours was. Pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I'll pray! AM is down and out too. Persevere!

    ReplyDelete