Saturday, May 14, 2011

Reduplicating Reasons to Read Ratzinger

I like learning things. This morning I learned two things I had absolutely no idea about. I am reading a great deal of the Holy Father right now: his book on Great Teachers, and I am making my way through the two volumes of Jesus of Nazareth. As a part of writing some lectures for my biblical course I had to look up some titles and dates re. our Holy Father's writings. I came across this entry in Wikipedia, which I will reference in full:

The Ratzinger Foundation, also known as The Pope Benedict XVI Foundation, is a charitable organization whose aim is "the promotion of theology in the spirit of Joseph Ratzinger." which it achieves by funding scholarships and bursaries for poorer students across the world. It was launched on November 12, 2008.

The foundation makes much of its money from the selling of Pope Benedict XVI's writings. In 2007, £1.6 million was raised for the charity by the selling of Pope Benedict's biography on Christ, Jesus of Nazareth.

The charity also has close links with the Ratzinger Sch├╝lerkreis, a group of theology students who, at doctoral and post-doctoral level, studied under the tutorship of then Professor Ratzinger. The Sch├╝lerkreis was formed after Ratzinger was elevated to the position of Archbishop of Munich.

At the 2010 meeting, it was announced that Pope Benedict had decided to donate a sizable sum of money for the establishment of a Nobel Prize in Theology.

 
As if you needed another reason to buy and read books by the Holy Father, but there it is: the money goes to help poorer theology students around the world, and, perhaps has some link to a Nobel Prize is Theology. How wonderful!








No comments:

Post a Comment