Saturday, January 15, 2011

Winter Woes, Nothing too Significant

Winter finally came this week, Barry's Bay style. I saw that it had come when I was visiting a friend and stayed late. When I got into my car to go home I noticed that the thermometer registered -20c, the coldest day of the year so far. By morning it had dropped to -25.

It's been a relatively warm winter here. The other day, apparently, the ice was only 6 inches in a spot that is usually twice as thick. I'm sure it has thickened a few inches since then. The forecast is calling for some cold nights yet in the next few days, but the days won't be too bad. The only problem that presents to me is that, while I find jogging in -5 or even -10 okay, any colder is kind of unpleasant - hard on the lungs and hard on the face. Lots of people get treadmills, and that's a great thing. I cannot nearly afford one, so I have to spread out the runs a little more than I'd like.

I know a few friends of mine would get a kick out of my treads, so here they are. They're not so bad - at least in the snow. If I had expensive shoes I'd hesitate to run in anything but the most perfect weather...



I had to tape the backs of them because the plastic shell was sticking through into my heels. I put cardboard immediately over it and then duct tape over that. It's working really well, believe it or not. I didn't even have to pay some Indonesian 3 cents to do it for me.

In sum, I'm not pining away for the Spring. I seem to be enjoying enough what God is bringing me each day. Spring means sweat, and I'd rather shiver than sweat.

2 comments:

  1. Shoes are working just fine... went out in -14 last night. My face froze.

    ReplyDelete