Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back At It

My first class of 2011 was this afternoon: Christology. I've been looking forward to this since the first time I taught it ended, a year-and-a-half ago. Going through my education I never cared for this subject - frankly it was because so many of my teachers were heretical and/or incompetent, at least in this area. I never got into Christology for that reason; no one ever sold me on it.

Eventually I realized that it is perhaps the one place where religion never strays very far from spirituality when it becomes academic. Christ is too 'concrete' to do that, no matter how philosophical Christology becomes. I know that theology is supposed to be this way, but, for me, only this subject is this spiritual.

In the class, I will treat of the Mystery historically, beginning with Scripture and the earliest Fathers, all the way up to modernity. When we examine the Summa  - and yet of course the early Christological Controversies - it becomes rather systematic (dogmatic), which is the perfect preparation for taking on contemporary issues and interpretations. This afternoon I treated the class to my PowerPoint Presentation, "Christ in Art," as the intro for the class. Next week, a quick glance at the New Testament, then Irenaeus and Tertullian. I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great course! Bethany has commented that one of the things that she has been enjoying about her studies is gaining the head knowledge to go along with her heart-faith.

    Glad to hear that she'll get more use of the Summa next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'll be lots of use of the Summa next year.

    ReplyDelete