Friday, December 10, 2010

R.I.P. Uncle Mike.

My dad's older brother's obituary: 

KERR, Michael F. (Retired RCMP Superintendent) At the Peter D. Clark Centre, surrounded by his loving family on December 6, 2010 at the age of 79 years. Michael Kerr, son of the late Vincent Kerr and Aida Blackaby. Loving husband and best friend of Monique Levesque. Cherished father of Lisa Jerome, Stephanie Kerr (Kevin), Gregory (Susan) and Christopher (Natalie). Proud and loving grandfather to Erin, Neilan, Harry, Emma, Marissa, Madison and Emilie. Survived by brother Basil Kerr and sister Mary (Greg Traversy). Predeceased by brother Stephen Kerr. The family would like to thank the Staff of the Peter D. Clark Centre for their dedication, care and compassion. Friends may pay respects to the family at The Whelan Funeral Home, 515 Cooper St. (between Bay & Lyon) on Sunday from 2 to 5 PM. A mass will be held at St Patrick's Basilica, (Kent & Nepean) on Monday, December 13, 2010 at 9:30AM. Interment to follow in the RCMP section of Beechwood Cemetery. Donations in memory to the Canadian Alzheimers Society greatly appreciated by the family.

Unfortunately, I didn't know my Uncle Mike as well as I could have. The Kerrs were the "Ontario family", that we saw much less often than my mom's "New Brunswick family." We are starting to get to know that side of the family a bit better, since we are now living much closer to them, and that is a really good thing. By getting to know them better, I get to know my late father better. My father deeply loved and admired his brother, Mike.

It's interesting the he was a RCMP superintendent. I looked up what that means in terms of the power structure of the Mounties, and here is what I found:

•Commissioner 1
•Deputy Commissioner 7
•Assistant Commissioner 26
•Chief Superintendent 60
Superintendent 185
•Inspector 446
•Corps Sergeant Major 1
•Sergeants Major 7
•Staff Sergeants Major 17
•Staff Sergeants 950
•Sergeants 2,153
•Corporals 3,653
•Constables 11,834
•Special Constables 74
•Civilian Members 3,733
•Public Servants 6,145

•Total 29,292

So that's kind of neat, he was pretty high up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment