Monday, December 6, 2010

The Good Part of Winter

It has been snowing here, uninterruptedly, for 3 or 4 days, it seems to me - not that it has amounted to all that much: perhaps 6 inches at most.

But no one minds the snow this time of year, before Christmas, when it seems necessary, and it is fresh and new. We can remember a time not so long ago that we were wearing shorts, and swimming down at the lake (or sitting in a chair beside the lake, reading, as certain children swam in the lake). We haven't had months of this stuff, stuck indoors, being sick and cold and warn out, dreaming of the day when we will wake up, look out the window and say, "Man, it's going to be too hot today again!"

Everywhere is eerily beautiful, eerie because so beautiful and yet so cold. These short, short, cold days, are strangely beautiful. And the Christmas lights here and there add so much to the will to be happy despite the inhospitality of outdoors.

I will say it again: I think this winter everyone should try and spend as much time out-of-doors as possible. It's about fresh air and sanity. Think of as many reasons to get outside as you can, and if you can't think of anything, go for a walk. You can appreciate the warmth of modern heating when you go back inside.

I went for a jog the other night, and it was -10c. By the end of it I was too warm. It is possible.

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing how one warms up when running. I always have to take my gloves off by the end of a run even in the bitterest of temps. Cold weather separates the real runners from those who just pretend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha it's true. I went out tonight and was roasting by the end. I don't know, however, if I qualify as a real runner quite yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW I am really struggling with not putting a comment on your blog about how exciting it is to see that Fr. Hattie and Elizabeth are dating now. What's wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't answer that... I think that you and I are related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes me feel better about myself... or worse about you!

    ReplyDelete