Friday, November 19, 2010

Faster than Dave

Fatter than Dave.

I have been exercising a lot in the last month or so. Month. I have probably lost about 10 lbs. I don't really have a goal. I really need to lose betwixt 30 and 50 lbs; now 20 - 40. That said, I am just kind of enjoying the exercise, believe it or not. You don't get this overweight because you customarily like exercise. I don't dislike exercise; it's more that I just really like to eat. A month ago I was the heaviest I have ever been. Now I am probably as light as I've been in a year or two. The idea of actually losing, say, 40 lbs seems so far fetched to me. Would I even look like me? Would I feel wimpy and... well, light in the loafers? There's something to knowing you outweigh most people. You feel strong.

It just seemed more 'family friendly'
to put a statue here rather than a
 picture of some actual beef-cake.
Now, if I lost 40 lbs, I would be as light as I have been in the last 7 or 8 years. I don't think I'd fit into any of my clothes - maybe my 'skinny clothes', but I can't say for sure.

What really makes me want to lose that much weight is the idea that I'd really be able to run well. I like jogging, and have been at one or two times in my life a pretty decent middle-distance runner. The jogging is coming along now, but in the sentiment of a bud, I just kind of bob along. I am going further each time, and perhaps a little faster, but at this weight I can't push it: too hard on the knees and shins.

And then the thought crossed my mind today: I'd like to get up to the 10 k, and be able to keep up with my friend Dave. Of course, he jogs at 6 am. And no matter how much weight I lose, that is just not going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. he won't admit to feeling chuffed about this post but he did have a smug smile when he called me to the computer to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to post that for one of theologyofdad's most loyal supporters. I knew he'd like it.

    ReplyDelete