Thursday, September 16, 2010

OLSWA Day of Recollection

My Favourite day of the year at OLSWA is our (3rd) Annual Day of Recollection at the Busze Polish Scout Camp in Kaszuby, about 10 minutes from Barry's Bay. It is a beautiful site, perfect for our spiritual needs. And, it should be observed, in the three years we've been doing this there it has never rained! I always find it very spiritually rewarding. It is organized by the School's Spiritual Life Committee (of which I am a member), and others, under the wise management of Deacon Robert Probert, and the retreat itself is guided by Fr. Paul Burchat, who celebrated mass, exposed the Blessed Sacrament, and gave some awesome talks; with another Madonna House priest, Fr. Murray Kemper (with whom I was in the seminary!), he heard dozens of confessions.

Many people have thanked me for putting that day on. They should know that I am just one small cog in the machine. Deacon Probert is the central gear, but thanks goes out to so many people who made it happen, from the boss, President Keith Cassidy, to the Student Life Team, under Maja Polic's wise and inspired guidance, to the Board of Directors and wives helping out in the kitchen especially.

The greatest treat for me this year was consolidating my conviction that we've got an extra-special group of students this year. They were so helpful doing everything that needed to be done, especially in being so willing to help with the clean-up at the end of the day. I hate to say it, but this has been the most helpful group to date!

Enjoy the pics:

Students and staff gather.


Where so much of the actual work went on.
What's a lunch in Kaszuby without involving cabbage somehow?


On the surface, a friendly lunch break.
In reality, an impassioned debate on 'art.'
What you learn about some people over lunch!

Others break with a game of 'Extreme Frisbee.'


The heart of our day. Waiting to expose the Blessed Sacrament.



<><>
<> Some unwind with an impromptu game of soccer.
<><><> 
The day ends with the camp fire, singing and smores.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures! I love seeing and reading about what is going on at the Academy. Nice to see Bethany! I joined my Mass prayers with those of the Academy yesterday, knowing that you were having your Day of Recollection. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spiritual support! It was a great day. And, I made sure a certain somebody appeared in one of the pics - I thought you might like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Colin! That was really thoughtful, and definitely appreciated.
    We pray for the Academy every day in our family prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete