It takes time to get out what I am thinking about this, and I certainly welcome others' ideas.
A new type of prayer group. One that is masculine and intellectual. All groups and orders are set up around the inspired teaching of some great master. There is hardly any more suitable than Augustine. I don't want it to take the place of any other devotion anyone has. It's not a way of life, it's a prayer group. Nor does it have to incorporate the greatness of any other charism or devotion. It can be a healthy addition to one's life of prayer. I think there's room for increasing the intellectuality of one's experience of Catholicism, and room for men growing in prayer together.
Its Way of Life
Commit to live a life pleasing to the Lord:
- By growing in love for the Holy Eucharist.
- By committing to discern His will in prayer.
- By living a life in obedience to the Church.
- By being free from excess in drink, food, and all other indulgences, according to the spirit of the Rule of St. Augustine.
- By living a life of modesty in speech, dress and life, according to the spirit of the Rule of St. Augustine.
- By committing to intercede for mercy from the Lord for the Church and the world.
- By committing to learning from our spiritual guide, St. Augustine of Hippo.
- By aiding works of charity consistent with our calling in Christ.
Its Way of Prayer
Eucharistic adoration services, once a week, as a group when possible, otherwise individually. These services will include a reading from the spiritual works of St. Augustine and the recitation of the 7 Penitential Psalms, and periods of silent meditation.
This is what has come to my mind so far. I need to re-read the Rule of St. Augustine to draw some further inspiration.