Monday, July 19, 2010

Augustinian Confraternity of the Holy Eucharist, More

Very good advice and thoughts are still filtering their way to me. I was away for the weekend and have had a very weird week anyway, so I've blogged very little, or rather, not at all.

One of the things that was mentioned in the exchanges was about using the net to include a wider group. I have long thought about having a blog solely devoted to things Augustinian. I have seen really good blogs devoted to other Doctors like Thomas and Anselm. I always dismissed it as being too much work. If I did it I would like it to be attached to some apostolate or academic organization. I have come across "The Internet Journal of the International Plato Society," which is an amazing thing when you think about it, in this scholarship-for-cash world in which we are living. My journal would be "The Internet Journal of the Augustinian Tradition."

Part of the problem here is the lack of integration between scholarship and spirituality that even effects the Catholic world. This is why I feel strange mixing the two with this confraternity idea. It just seems to happen that one tends to drown out and water down the other. Some journals make provision for both. Kind of. Augustinian Studies, for instance, will devote an article here and there to the Augustinian Order itself, its history and charism, etc. But that's spirituality on the heavy side of the intellectual. The winner in this mix is, in my opinion, the Cistercians. Their accomplishments are the ones most well known to me anyway. It's not an impossible goal, I know. It's just that it's prone to problems. For my part I am hesitant to demand, or even to seem to demand, too much intellectuality from members of the confraternity. But again, it's devoted to his spiritual works, and he was a spiritual master. If I thought there was an essential disparity here I would never have gotten into this line of work.

Then there's the matter of the third order. My ideas are veering awfully close to this. But I'd have to say that the point is not to become a disciple of Saint Augustine per se, as would be the goal of the Secular Augustinian Recollects, for instance. The goal is simply to adore the Lord in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar and to love Him more deeply through Augustine's aid.

Okay, some truthiness:

I want Augustinian Confraternity of the Holy Eucharist golf-shirts and I want members to wear an Augustine medal.



I want some connection to his sacred relics in Pavia and to his Church in Annaba, Algeria (formerly his diocese, Hippo Regius).



This is the Church where Saint Augustine's relics lie: San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro - Saint Peter in the Sky of Gold. In fact, that is his very shrine, apparently behind the main altar. Incidentally, Boethius is also interred in this church.

And this is the church devoted to him in Annaba (Hippo):


I want to go to Annaba more than anywhere else in the world, although I hate heat and I hate to travel! I've studied it on Google Maps, and it appears to be quite an exotic, resort place, heavily French.


My wants. A hill of beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment