Tuesday, June 29, 2010

There's Always a Grain of Truth on the Other Side (At Least a Grain)

"Wow, that's refreshingly open-minded of you, Kerr," you are thinking.

I guess exaggerated positions are usually reactions against the opposite exaggerated positions. I could never figure out why homosexualists would go on and on about homophobia - who hates gay people after all - who could be bothered to? But lo and behold some people do. Not many, but some.

And anti-semitism, who the heck hates Jews, really? But, again, there you have it, some people do...

Of course, claims of homophobia and anti-semitism are more often than not straw men, accusations meant to undermine opponents in a round-about way. Like atheists calling the Gospel of John anti-Semitic, as if they really care about Jews and Judaism.

There is also a grain of truth in environmentalism, as much as I hate to admit it. I've always detested littering. My father loved nature and passed that on to us. By no means, though, am I a 'save the rain forest' kind of guy, even though I think the rain forest sounds like a great thing. I am more of a 'save the human babies' kind of guy.

There is a grain of truth in environmentalists' accusations against the big oil companies too, and all their conspiratorial stuff. Well, I should say some of their conspiratorial stuff. I was very surprised to see how many anti-environmentalist people were here in Barry's Bay generally. It was weird, and I thought kind of un-Catholic. Then I finally got what a lot of their concern was about: environmentalism is usually anti-human, anti-life. And that explains most of their hatred.

But it doesn't explain everything. There is also a great deal of opposition to wind-power here in the Madawaska Valley, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.The reason I am bringing up this whole topic is that I was reading over the flier of a woman who is running for town councillor here. Her name is Linda Neuman. I am not singling her out and saying she is the worst of the candidates. In fact, I haven't learned yet who the other ones are. But I can't simply turn a blind eye to this statement she makes:

SOS... Save Our Skylines!!! I do not want to look out my window or drive on the roads of our township and have to see wind turbines dotting the skyline.

To say that this is the stupidest thing I've read in a while isn't to say this is the stupidest person I've encountered in a while. Perhaps there were some typos here, she was tired, it wasn't proofread, etc.

Here's a few pictures of the kind of thing she is talking about:

just disgusting

hideous how it accentuates the skyline in a repulsive Rembrantesque manner
I threw this in because our township is forested,
and this is the type of carnage we can expect to our skyline


O Halifax, how I miss thee at times like this. Your beautiful coal-burning smokestacks, so christmasy, like giant carcinogenic candy-canes. Much better than stupid windmills that made Holland so famous and ugly. 



Imagine one of these in the outskirts of Douglas. It would look so pretty against the backdrop of a dairy farm.
And, bonus: it'd help to keep the cows warm throughout the long, cold winters.

And this one reminds me of my mom's hometown: Saint John, New Brunswick,
not for nothing called the "armpit of the Maritimes."
The armpit, one of the best parts of the human frame.

This is actually kind of cool. A picture of how the Borg would run things.

Beijing. Coal. Smog. Lovely. No nasty windmills.

I love this image from NASA.
China, you have so much to teach us.
Come out of your thick blanket of smoke and teach us your ways!

Dare we to dream -
Barry's Bay in twenty years if we keep those nasty windmills out.

Alright, 'nough said. You get my point.

In a nutshell. Why do people object to windmills?! Are they really being paid off by the oil barons or Northern Ontario coal mining interests? Windmills are not ugly. They produce absolutely no pollution, which is good for fish, trees, deer, children, and town councillors - all the things that the Madawaska Valley Township loves!


________________________
You will never find me talking about environmental issues again. I'm going out to kill a seal to make myself feel better...

________________________
(This is when someone tells me that Linda Neuman is their grandmother's cousin's bestfriend who saved 17 children from a burning school bus, and doanted all of her bone marrow to children with skinned-knees.)

11 comments:

  1. It is written: A woman shall compass a man and create a new thing in the earth (Jer 31:22), the man is Satan(Isa 14:16), the new thing is turning the hearts of the fathers to the children. Satan has deceived the whole world (Rev 12:7), until the heel of time(Gen 3:15). Check out the bruising of Satan at http://thegoodtale.blogspot.com or at http://thegoodtale.wordpress.com please read all posts before you make a judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the omnipresent triple smoke stacks. I drink my morning tea and overlook them. A lovely, lovely sight.

    I was shocked by the anti-environmentalism too when I came to Barry's Bay. As an 'ism' environmentalism certainly is ripe with issues, as you say, but in general, I think respecting and looking after the earth is quite Catholic. Ever read "Apostolic Farming" by Catherine Doherty? I was surprised just how 'green' she was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of that book.
    Environmentalism as we know it is an anti-Christian humanistic ideology, but it need not be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that a lot of the opposition to windmills around here actually stems from the health concerns that people raise in regard to the windmills. These health concerns are very real to some and completely unproveable to others. Look into them if you care to. (or ask Mr. C of Biernacki Mtn. Rd.) Also, there is some research on windmills in Germany showing that they actually used more traditional forms of energy because of all the times they weren't turning and thus producing their own energy. Windmills are a particularly sore point in our family with regard to a certain brother-in-law whose default conversation at all holidays is wind power. His parents are deathly opposed and he is intent on playing the devil's advocate. One more thing: windmills are very loud, apparently and from my experience at the NS/NB border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think alot of these problem can be solved with placement. They kill birds, keep people up at night... what about oil and coal, what do they do? We are just used to what oil and coal do. I haven't yet seen any arguments against them that I have found convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mentioned to my mother-in-law the opposition to windmills, and she said there is actually a link between the near-extinction bee population and windmills. So perhaps they're not entirely great for the eco-system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All sorts of wild theories were flying around about the bees a few years ago - cell phones, etc., I think they've realized that it's a virus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, again, there's nothing a bee likes so much as a good dose of CO2. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would support windmills if they were actually useful!

    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2009/04/08/wind-power-is-a-complete-disaster.aspx

    I would also like windmills more if the Kennedys stopped trying to stop them in their beloved Hyannis (and pushing them EVERYWHERE else!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. arrgghh. No one is supporting me here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yesterday during heat wave:
    Energy demand in Ontario is 24620 mw - wind is
    providing 52 mw (capacity of 1100 mw) nothing like unreliable power when
    you need it

    ReplyDelete