Saturday, May 1, 2010

Two Neat Experiences

Evangelicalism and Theology of the Body

Heard the best talk of the year last night at OLSWA by a professor of theology from Tyndale University College in Toronto, Dr. Craig Carter. His talk was entitled "Evangelical Perspectives on John Paul II's Theology of the Body." I must say that it was one of the most interesting talks I have ever experienced. I am fascinated by Protestantism - true Protestantism, not your watered-down, modernism disguising itself as Christianity - true Protestantism, vibrant and smart, like the Evangelicalism of Dr. Carter, true Barthianism, if I may so say. You are thinking to yourself, what can JPII and Evangelicalism have in common? A great deal, my friends. Dr. Carter is inspired by the Biblicism of the TOTB (Theology of the Body), and really thinks that his Protestant brethren have no choice but to learn from it, to develop and strengthen their weak theology of marriage. There's a lot more I could say about this talk, but why not visit Dr. Carter's blog, which I sure to do a great deal of in the near future. For me the night was so bizarre in that I finally got to meet someone who confirmed all my highest hopes for Catholic-Protestant relations. I am thinking of getting involved in the Catholic-evangelical dialogue, as was one of my great heroes, Fr. Richard John Neuhaus.

Shovelling It

Second neat, unusual experience: I helped dig a grave today. My forearm is killing me: I'm no Popeye.

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting post! I too love "true" Protestantism, and some very prayerful NFP-using (!) Protestants friends from Redeemer confirmed this for me when I worked there last year.

    I don't suppose you've gotten to know Dr. Ellens from RUC yet? He is on the Senate, correct? Now he is a great one for Catholic-Protestant dialogue. I admire him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Dr. Ellens because he's on our Senate, but I've never talked to him at length, although I have heard a lot of good things about him. Are you coming to BB?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we'll be there on the 15th. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colin:
    They say that 90% of online readers only lurk and rarely, if ever, comment. I am one of those who has been lurking, reading your blog regularly since it went online; however, I've just signed up as a Follower. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Michael!

    Jenna, can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My photograph appears in the list of Followers; however, for reasons that escape me, it doesn't appear next to my post. I have tried changing my Site Settings and still it doesn't appear. If you want to see a photo and basic ID, click on the hyper-linked "michaeljcollins" next to the OpenID logo. That will take you to my URL where you can see a photo and download a V-Card. If you have any suggestions as to how to get my photo to appear with my comments, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya, beats me. I don't know why computers do the things they do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete