Friday, March 5, 2010

While I was at Work

.
A Well-Worth-It Read

One of the most perceptive things I've read of late, from a Fr. Dwight Longenecker: Contraception and the Vocations Crisis.

While I was at Work

The camera never lies as to what shenanigans went down. The clearest sign that something was awry - Stephen was quiet.




He had gotten into the diaper cream while his mother was distracted elsewhere. It could have been much worse, I suppose. Once with his older brother it was. I'll let you guess at what Isaiah had gotten into and had spread all over the walls of his bedroom.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. The article was a great read and mercifully short. I agree with the good father and I might add that a marriage based on poverty is also a great hotbed for vocations. I have witnessed more than a few religious who come from small families (1-2 children) yet their parents were quite poor and life was a struggle. Consequently, they knew what marriage and family life entailed - sacrifice. However, I think it must be easier to be poor and joyful when surrounded by extended family i.e. the Newfie phenomenon - better to be at home and on pogey than away and with a job. The Catholic culture that he describes reminds me of my father's upbringing in England: many religious sisters, a few men in the 'dog collar' and even an auxiliary bishop of London who would come to visit, remove his hat and say something along the lines of, Goodnight Bishop. It was all so perfectly natural. (Barry's Bay comes close: today the woman at the Baykery told me about her husband's vision of the Lord at adoration and I promised to buy her Theology of the Body for her daughter - bread of all sorts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, part of the problem with the priesthood today lies in fact of the terrible support-system that typical laypeople represent. They are extremely worldly and that tends to discourage the priest's radicalism.

    ReplyDelete