Thursday, February 4, 2010

Statue of Saint Augustine


Okay, in my previous blog I was speaking of Catholicism as a perfect culture and that how it enriches our study at OLSWA is so multi-faceted, and gave the example of the communion of the saints, etc., wherein I seized the opportunity of expressing the deep desire that someone purchase for our St. Augustine Classroom a statue of that great saint.

I found an amazing website, if you are a wealthy and generous Catholic patron. These are high-quality statuary. They are carved from wood and painted with great skill, as you can tell. Here's the link. AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. But nothing's too good for God, right? Did I mention that the company is in Germany? But seriously, you can get lovely statues elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Check out the site if you, like me, admire fine craftmanship.

If you are going nuts, buying statues for poor Catholic institutions, etc., can you buy one of St. Bernadette for me?

She is the patron saint of my family, and it would be so nice to have a such a lovely icon of that inspiring saint in the house. I'll explain why I've dedicated my family to her partonage in some future post.
Seeing how we are connoisseuring fine art here, may I suggest that someone pressure Michael O'Brien - the great Catholic artist and writer, and supporter of OLSWA - to paint a picture of St. Augustine for the classroom. Yes, I said pressure him. He's a saint of a man - he's sure to give in!



Isn't Michael an amazing painter?

I'll return to serious theology next post...

pax Christi te cum.

4 comments:

  1. Colin, you know I would buy these statues if I could...

    Thanks for the blog; I'm enjoying my little taste of Barry's Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I am going to hold you to it when you richen-up.
    I don't know if I'm a taste of anything, other than a slight hint of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how their St. Anselm is an exact clone of St. Augustine: http://www.saint-statues.com/servlet/the-85655/Wood-carved-Patron-Anselm/Detail

    I know Anselm was influenced by Augustine, but this is going a little far...

    Anyway, I agree. It would be great if we could a statue of Augustine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess you didn't see their twin brother Ambrose, then.

    ReplyDelete